Family-Based Green Cards: Immigration attorney in Philadelphia, Pa

Many people who come to the U.S. want their families to join them eventually. Trust experienced Immigration Attorney in Philadelphia, Pa –  Immigration laws in the United States allow for certain non-citizens to become lawful resident, provided they are family members. A spouse, minor child, or parent of a U.S. citizen can seek a green card. Other individuals who come under the category of “preference immigrant” include:

  • Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. Citizens, 21 years of age or old
  • Spouses and children of lawful permanent residents
  • Unmarried sons and daughters of lawful permanent residents, 21 years old (or older)
  • Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens
  • Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens

Refer to Consular Processing for learning how to apply for a Green Card under the family preference immigrant category. Or, even better, trust experienced immigration attorneys like those at Voloshen Law in Philadelphia, PA, to guide your way. Knowing the ins and outs of the entire procedure is complex, especially for people who speak English as a second language.

Immigration Attorneys in Philadelphia, Pa. – Barriers to Adjusted Status

Your family member(s) might be barred from adjusted status. If they violated immigration law, have unauthorized employment, or are currently in deportation proceedings, for example. Meanwhile, if any of these individuals were victims of trafficking or crimes against women, they received consideration based on humanitarian grounds.

Family-Based Green Cards: a Closer Look

If you’re trying to help your parents get a green card, the requirements are, thankfully, somewhat simple so long as you are a U.S. citizen. It gets a little dicier if you are an adopted son or daughter. Parents receive priority consideration vs. other family members. However, you cannot petition for a parental green card if you are only a permanent resident. You would have to naturalize first.

Everything begins with filing Form I-130. The government acknowledges that a qualifying relationship exists to move forward if approved. Parents are at the top of the list as a good class, but those in preference categories may wait years to get a visa.

Voloshen Law cannot stress the importance of having or obtaining evidence of your relationship status. Without that, you cannot move forward. Depending on the circumstances, you may need your birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decrees, adoption certificate, and even death certificate to verify your family member(s).

Important: Your family member should not travel to the U.S. under a tourist or other temporary visa to gain U.S. entry to obtain a green card. It is considered visa fraud.

Besides relationship proof, you must show sufficient income to support your family member and that your family member’s health is in good standing.

Voloshen Law: Immigration attorney in Philadelphia PA

There are many reasons to contact our offices with your immigration questions. Our attorneys help you avoid common mistakes and save you time in completing the process. We can give you personal time and attention and review your specific circumstances very closely to create an action plan. 

We have offices in Huntingdon Valley, PA, and Boca Raton, FL. Give us a call at 215-437-7854.


More Posts

April Updates – Form N-400

Starting April 1, 2024, applicants filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, will have the option to request an original or

Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top