Who qualifies under VAWA?

Abuse has no limitations and harms young and old, native and immigrant alike. If you are an immigrant who is in an abusive situation, there is hope for you. If a US citizen or lawful permanent resident harms you mentally, physically, or emotionally, you may be eligible to apply for a green card through the VAWA (Violence Against Women Act)

What is Abuse?

You may not think you qualify for assistance under the VAWA. It’s worthy of note that despite the Act’s title, anyone is eligible for protection under this law regardless of gender identity. Also, remember that “abuse” isn’t just battery. It comes in many forms, all of which are worthy of consideration, including

  • Emotional degradation or manipulation
  • Financial control
  • Intimidation or threats
  • Isolation
  • Sexual assault or exploitation
  • Stalking
  • Psychological subversion

VAWA Basics – Who qualifies under VAWA?

President Bill Clinton signed the Act in 1994. This provided billions of dollars for the investigation and prosecution of offenders. The guidelines of VAWA require proof of abuse over three years or more. The attorneys at Voloshen Law are well-versed in handling such cases. Working with an immigration lawyer dramatically increases your chance of success in obtaining a visa.

The Application – Who qualifies under VAWA?

Just think of the mounds of paperwork alone. When you suffer from abuse, it’s often hard to think straight. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) forms are arduous and confusing. You want to have these documents finished the first time correctly so assistance comes more quickly. It’s our responsibility as your representative to make the process run as smoothly as possible, alleviating stress. Your privacy is of utmost importance, and all our work is confidential.

Persistent Abusers

If your abuser has been watching you closely, they may discover your efforts. You may have a camera in your home, GPS history in your car, cellphone records, or internet searches showing your activities. Voloshen Law’s full-service immigration lawyers can determine how we can communicate with you safely, no matter what.

Should your abuser withhold important documents and issue threats of deportation, this will not hold you back from applying for protection. The USCIS knows such things happen all the time, and our law firm stands ready to help you get all the evidence you require.

Required Evidence – Who qualifies under VAWA?

While you may not have all of these things currently, the VAWA requires the following as evidence:

  • Confirmation of the abuser’s status as a legal resident or US citizen
  • Criminal background check accompanied by an affidavit of good moral character
  • Papers showing shared residency with the abuser. This can be as simple as a utility bill. 
  • Proof of your relationship with the abuser
  • Validation of marriage, if applicable.
  • Verification of abuse. If you have police records, those are ideal—pictures of physical confrontations, hospital records, and attestation from people who have witnessed all count.
  • How Voloshen Law Can Help

You don’t need to go through the process of petitioning for VAWA alone. We can not only help you with evidence but keep your essential documents in a safe place. We will reach out to various entities to obtain information and have that sent to our offices. From there, it’s just a matter of organizing your petition strategically.

If you are looking for an immigration lawyer near Huntingdon Valley, PA, or Boca Raton, FL, don’t hesitate to contact us with questions or call 215-437-7854.


More Posts

April Updates – Form N-400

Starting April 1, 2024, applicants filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, will have the option to request an original or

Scroll to Top