Can I Apply for a B-1/B-2 Travel Visa for Someone Else?

travel visa

When someone who is a citizen of a foreign country wants to enter the United States, the first step is obtaining a visa. This visa can be for a temporary stay or a nonimmigrant visa. Typically the nonimmigrant travel visa (B-1) is for business, sometimes for tourism (B-2), and sometimes a mixture of the two.

For example, a person may obtain a B-1 for an educational conference or business event. Or, perhaps, they have to negotiate a contract or settle an estate. The B-2 visas are for holidays, visiting relatives, social events, non-credited studies, participating in amateur contests, or for advised medical treatment.

Planning a Visit

If you are asking, “Can I apply for a B-1/B-2 visa for my friend or loved one, the answer is no. Because a person applying for either visa must attend a face-to-face interview, you can’t start the application process by yourself. What you can do, however, is help them in gathering the documents they’ll need to obtain their visa without a lot of red tape.

Since most people don’t know what’s involved in visas, you may want to consider reaching out to a full-service immigration legal practice in Philadelphia, PA, like Voloshen Law. The legal ins and outs of visas are constantly changing, and it’s our job to stay on top of them.

It is important to plan ahead as wait times on visas can vary dramatically by visa category, season, and location. Remind your friend or loved one to begin by accessing the nonimmigrant visa application (Form DS-160). They should print the application and the confirmation and keep it safe for the interview. They will also need to upload a photo when completing this form.

travel visa 2

Simple Ways to Help

There are things you can do that can help the visa process without difficulty. First, you can offer financial support. This shows the visa officer that your friend or loved ones have enough money to cover their stay.

Second, you can draft a letter inviting the individual(s) to the US. Your letter should reflect your relationship with the applicant, the purpose of the visit, and how long their stay is expected to last.

It’s well worth noting that your willingness to assist with the process holds tremendous value in terms of moral support. No one has ever said that obtaining a visa was “fun.” In fact, it can be stressful, so having emotional backing makes a world of difference.

Getting Legal Counsel

There are a lot of benefits to getting legal counsel for the B-1/B-2 immigration travel visa process. Your lawyer can appraise you on the basics of temporary visitors to the United States and what to expect in the process.

At Voloshen Law, we are ready to answer any questions you may have. We have exceptional, experienced professionals on our staff. Please don’t hesitate to use our online contact form to touch base. Or you can call our Huntingdon Valley, PA office at 215-437-7845.


More Posts

April Updates – Form N-400

Starting April 1, 2024, applicants filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, will have the option to request an original or

Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top