Immigration Options for Students: Student Visas and Post-Graduation Pathways

student visa

Students who wish to study in the United States have various options available. They can get a student visa to stay in the United States while they complete college. They can also enroll in a post-graduation pathway program to learn more about American culture.

Student Visas

There are three types of visas a student can apply for as follows:

·  F Student Visa: These visas allow students to study at an accredited U.S. college or university or study English at an English language institute

·  J Exchange Visa: J Exchange Visas allow high school and college students to participate in exchange programs

·  M Student Visas: These visas allow students to take non-academic, vocational, and training courses in the United States

Students must gain acceptance to a United States Student Exchange and Visitor Program (SEVP) certified higher education institution before applying for a visa. Once accepted, the school will provide you with a Form I-20 or DS-2019 that you must present when applying for your visa. Once you receive your form, visit:

·  U.S. Department of State- Consular Affairs (Student Visas)

·  U.S. Department of State- U.S. Embassies and Consulates

·  U.S. Department of Homeland Security- Study in the States

Review the information on all three sites before applying for your visa.

Note that two separate agencies aid students in the visa process. The State Department oversees the application and issuing process. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security regulates the student’s entry into the country and enforces student regulations.

Post-Graduation Pathways

Pathway programs offer language classes and skill training for graduate and post-graduate students. They help prepare individuals for careers. They familiarize students with American culture and language to prepare them for entry into the job force.

Most pathway programs last one year. Enrolled students can earn credits towards undergraduate and graduate degrees. They can continue their degree or career path without enrolling in a separate program.

Employers also benefit from pathway programs. They can choose from a large talent pool of workers from different cultures fluent in English and trained in their job field. Some companies even offer financial support for students enrolled in pathway programs.

Students enrolled in pathway programs can live with a family member or friend, but institutions recommend on-campus living. It allows students to increase their familiarity with the American culture and language. It helps them build connections and support.

The coursework varies but typically focuses on academic skills, language, math, and science. Students learn English, communication and writing, and computer skills. Their courses also help familiarize them with American culture.

Voloshen Law Can Help

Voloshen Law understands that navigating the immigration process can be confusing. Our immigration services ensure that you do everything by the book. We can help with student visas, marriage visas, employment-based visas, investment visas, and more.

We provide top-notch services to our clients. We offer reasonable fees and personalized service. Contact us to learn how we can assist you in your legal matters.


More Posts

April Updates – Form N-400

Starting April 1, 2024, applicants filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, will have the option to request an original or

Scroll to Top