Understanding the N600 Application for Certificate of Citizenship

Understanding the N600 Application for Certificate of Citizenship

The N600 application for a certificate of citizenship is a process that allows you to be issued with a certificate proving your right to US citizenship even though you were born out of the country. You may need this certificate if you need to obtain a driver’s license, a Social Security benefit, financial aid, or for many other reasons. In this blog post, we will explain exactly who is eligible for the N600, how you can apply, and all the costs involved in the process.

Who Is Eligible to Apply For the N600?

If you were born outside of the US but have a right to US citizenship, you can apply for the N600. To do this, you need to be in the country at the time of application, you need to be at least 18 years old, and you need to have been born outside of the US. If you are under the age of 18, a parent or guardian can submit the form on your behalf.

If you are not a US citizen, were born in the US, became a US citizen through naturalization, or are currently residing in a different country, you cannot make the N600 application for a certificate of citizenship.


Several complications can arise when putting together your N600 application for certificate of citizenship. One of the most common is proving that your father is who you say they are. There are several ways this can be done, including DNA tests, ensuring your father was a US citizen at the time of your birth, legal evidence that your father accepted the right to support you financially before you turned 18, or that paternity was previously established in a court of law.

Filling in the Application

N600 applications are notoriously difficult, which is why we recommend that you have a qualified lawyer go through them with you from the start. You will need all the necessary documentation from the beginning of the application process to ensure you have a good chance of getting through the first stage.

You will then have to go through a processing stage where the USCIS considers your application. If there are any problems, your application will be sent back, and you will need to start from the beginning again—so make sure you get it correct on the first try! If the USCIS decides they need more evidence or would like to see more documentation, they may request that you send more supporting documentation. This is very normal, so you should be prepared for them to do this. In some cases, the USCIS also calls people in for interviews. While this isn\’t very common, it might happen if uncertain circumstances are surrounding your birth, or if there is missing documentation.



Once you have gone through the rigmarole of having your documents processed, you will get an answer. You can, however, appeal a denial decision within the first 30 days. If your application is denied, you won’t be able to apply again, so it’s crucial that you get everything perfect the first time. If you are accepted, you will then be scheduled to attend an Oath of Allegiance ceremony.

The Cost of the N600 Application for Certificate of Citizenship

There are several costs associated with the process. Firstly, the filing fee comes in at $1,170. This must be paid by check, cashier\’s check, or money order to the USDHS. Members of the armed forces and those that can prove they are experiencing financial hardship are exempt from the filing fee.

If you require your biometrics to be taken, such as your fingerprints or eye scans, you will need to book an appointment and pay for these services. Similarly, you will also need to make copies of all documents that need to be sent and to provide up-to-date photographs.

Choosing the Right Immigration Lawyer for the Job

With so many potential pitfalls in the application process, you need to make sure you have the best lawyer to help you get the N600 application done to the best of your ability. Here at Voloshen Law Firm, we’ve helped hundreds of US citizens prove their citizenship through the N600 route. If you’d like to talk with immigration law experts and get the help you need to get your N600 application for a certificate of citizenship done properly, give us a call or contact us through our website.


More Posts

April Updates – Form N-400

Starting April 1, 2024, applicants filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, will have the option to request an original or

Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top